Emergence of Data Science and Artificial Intelligence
Data Science and Artificial Intelligence (AI) are emerging fields that will shape the future of this universe. Data is one of the most important assets of a company. It helps us to forecast the future based upon the previous experiences.
Medical researchers need data to formulate a cure. Weather analysts use data to explore the atmosphere and predict weather conditions based upon this data. Even NASA sent its missions to Moon and Mars just to collect data.
In short, we are encircled by data that is still undetected. Artificial Intelligence might help us accelerate the gathering and analysis of this data.
The OECD has suggested these 5 foundational principles as part of undertaking AI efforts:
- AI should benefit people and the planet by driving inclusive growth, sustainable development and well-being.
- AI systems should be designed in a way that respects the rule of law, human rights, democratic values and diversity. Moreover, they should include appropriate safeguards i.e., enabling human intervention where necessary, to ensure fair and just society.
- There should be transparency and responsible disclosure around AI systems to ensure that people understand AI-based outcomes and can challenge them.
- AI systems must function in a robust, secure and safe way throughout their lifecycles and potential risks should be continually assessed and managed.
- Organizations and individuals developing, deploying or operating AI systems should be held accountable for their proper functioning in line with the above principles.
For ease of reference, this is the official shorthand list of the 5 AI ethics principles:
- Inclusive growth, sustainable development and well-being.
- Human-centered values and fairness.
- Transparency and explain ability.
- Robustness, security and safety.
AI ethics are only now becoming prominent and we will need to wait and see how those involved in making and fielding AI opt to adopt such guidelines. The excuse that incorporating AI ethics is too much effort or will needlessly delay getting AI onto the streets is absolutely false.